Search for a book, or scroll down for our suggestions
Building a Roll-Off Roof or Dome Observatory: A Complete Guide for Design and Construction (Patrick Moore Practical Astronomy) (Paperback)
Almost every practical astronomer eventually aspires to have a fixed, permanent observatory for his or her telescope. A roll-off roof or dome observatory is the answer for the most popular home observatory design. Building a Roll-Off or Dome Observatory will help you decide whether to embark on the venture and will certainly increase your enthusiasm for the project.
The author, both an amateur astronomer and a professional landscape architect, answers many of the common questions asked about observatory construction, covering the following topics:
- Zoning, and by-law requirements common to most states, towns and municipalities
- Where to locate the observatory
- How to tailor the observatory for your particular needs
- Tools and structural components required
- Possible variations in design
- How to combine the structure with other structures (incorporating a garden patio under the gantry in
the roll-off roof observatory, for example)
This fully detailed outlines step-by-step construction, with professional detailed diagrams for each phase of construction.